Sick week and GAFPB Gold!

Monday of last week, I was trying to cough up a lung or something.  But I did manage to get through the track and field events of the German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge competition.  I completed the 100m dash in 16 seconds (needed 17 or less) and cleared 3’4" on the high jump.  It was my first-ever time doing the high jump, so my form was oh-so-wonderful.  But I did it.

Tuesday morning I went to sick call and was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection and put on quarters for 3 days.  So I spent Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at home, sleeping quite a bit, stitching some, and not eating a whole lot until Thursday when I was finally starting to feel better.

Back to work on Friday for a whole couple of hours.  Gotta love half days on Fridays!  I don’t remember what I did Friday afternoon, but I probably napped some more.

Saturday, K and I went for a 2.6 mile run, and 1/4 mile in, I had a coughing fit so hard I thought I was going to die.  I managed to overcome that and we finished our run.  It felt good to be back out running, even though I still wasn’t back to 100%.

Sunday was church and grocery shopping.  Then in the evening, the 3 of us and K headed to Tucson for a BBQ for our relay team.  It was a lot of fun and everyone was there except one girl.  Most of our team had their spouses and there were a few other kids there as well.  Lots of good food that everyone brought and C & C provided the burgers and hot dogs.  It was really nice seeing everyone again.

Monday was back to work – I spent some time training my replacement in admin (I’ll be moving to supply) and then we had Brass Band rehearsal in the afternoon.  It was a really good rehearsal.

Tuesday morning came REALLY early.  I had to be at the MP building at 0530 for weigh-in of rucksacks.  And then the GAFPB road march began.  I needed 33.1 pounds and I had 34.1.  Not bad – just one pound extra.  The first half of the road march went really well, and I was well ahead of the pace I needed to finish on time.  Well, then it got hard, and there was more uphill than I expected.  And my pace started slowing down more and more.  I’m soooooooo thankful that K did the road march with me – she really kept me going.  Then when we were coming up the last big hill, CPT M came over to help the last 2 of us along.  She was really helpful and then JS joined us and between K and CPT M and JS, they got me across the finish line just in time.  I had to complete the 7.5 miles in 2 hours or less, and I finished with 20 seconds to spare.  But according to my Garmin, it was 7.83 miles, so I definitely finished 7.5 in time.  The road march was the final event of the GAFPB, and I managed to qualify GOLD!!!  When I crossed the finish line, I was DONE.  Nothing left.  Several of the others got my ruck off my back and helped me sit down.  JS had some powerade for me.  After I sat for a little bit, I managed to hobble to my car and head home.  The 5 of us from the band had been given the rest of the day off, and that was very welcomed.  

Once home, I got out of my soggy uniform and checked out my feet – they weren’t as bad as they felt when I had my boots on.  I only had a quarter sized blister on the ball of each foot and a tiny blister on my 4th toe of my left foot.  But I had sore muscles in places I didn’t remember having muscles.  Once I got changed, I took Shadow to the vet.  She had been crying a really pained cry since I was getting ready and she couldn’t support her weight on her legs.  The vet checked everything out and did blood work and x-rays.  Shadow’s temperature was low and her heart was beating really fast.  The x-rays showed some fluid around her heart and a bit of arthritis in her hips.   The vet is thinking she maybe had a blood clot and had a small stroke because it was only Shadow’s left side legs that weren’t working.  The vet gave me some blood pressure medicine for Shadow, and we have a follow up appointment next Monday.  I got her home and nice and comfy on some folded towels.  When I got back from closing the garage door, she was gone.  She had managed to get herself into my closet and was napping on an old backpack.  I put a dish of food and a dish of water near her and just let her sleep and went and got a much-needed manicure.  After the manicure, I came home and took a nap.

Today we had a short rehearsal after formation, and then after going through my e-mails I headed home to get ready for our job.  It was in Class A uniform, so I had to put my dress shoes on my sore, blistered feet.  OW!   The gig went really well, and then afterward, we were done for the day.  I stopped at Clothing Sales and ordered new shoes (my current ones are too tight) and then I headed home to get out of uniform.  I relaxed for a while before going to get Robert from Child Time.  After a quick stop at home for some food for him, we headed to church for choir practice.  Rehearsal went well and then we got our robes on and headed into the church.  Ryan and K were there and I passed Robert off to them for the Ash Wednesday service.  It was a good service, and Robert was evening singing and doing some of the prayers and stuff!  Then we headed home and got Robert to bed.  I crocheted for a little bit and now I’m heading to bed as well.  Shadow seems to be doing better – she’s been out and about around the house a little bit today.  She’s still struggling to walk, but it’s definitely better than yesterday.

Today’s high:  73
Current:  53

One thought on “Sick week and GAFPB Gold!

  1. Awww I’m sorry to hear Shadow wasn’t feeling well. I hope kitty feels better very soon! I do have to say sis that you continue to be a huge inspiration in my life. The way you dedicate yourself to your work and exercise program is just amazing! You were sick this week and yet you still pushed yourself to run. Makes me proud to be your adopted sis! I love you!! Miss you!! Hi to Ryan and Robert =D *hugs*

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s