Organizational Day

Today was a really good day.  I did a 3.67 mile run this morning, but I did intervals for 2 miles – fast 1/4 mile, slow 1/4 for 2 miles.  My average pace was a few seconds faster than the last time I ran intervals close to 2 months ago, so that’s a good thing!  Then after my shower, I changed into clean PTs.  Yup – today was a PT-wearing day!  After breakfast and formation, we got on a couple of buses and went to one of the MWR buildings here.  The 4th Infantry Division Band joined us for a day of fun!!  They are here on a neighboring camp – we’re only like less than 5 miles apart yet we never see each other.  We got a couple of volleyball matches going to start off the morning (after opening remarks by the commanders).  I played on one of the teams and it was a lot of fun.  My knees are all scraped up from being in the sand diving for balls and stuff.  We played 3 games.

Then I went and got a water and went and sat and chatted with a guy from 4ID (SC) that I had served with in both Korea and at Ft. Gordon.  It was fun catching up with him.  Then I went and played horseshoes for a while, and in the process provided much entertainment for all playing (3 games going at once).  Probably about half (or more) of the time, my horseshoes barely made it halfway to the other end.  I just couldn’t get them to go.  And they were HOT.  And slippery with sweaty hands.  But I did score one point for our team (I was partnered up with one of the 4ID guys), so there was much cheering when that occurred.  I had another bottle of water during the 2 horseshoe games I played and then when we were done with that, I was ready to be in the shade for a while.  The horseshoe pits were out in the sun with no shade anywhere near.  That was a lot of fun despite my lack of throwing ability and the hot sun.

I went and sat and chatted with SC some more, and also with some of the others from the 4ID Band.  Then it was time for lunch.  We got the food from the chow hall, so we didn’t have to do any cooking or anything.  There were the makings for sandwiches (I didn’t have one), wings (I had ONE), carrot & celery sticks, cucumber slices, cantaloupe, honeydew (I had some of all of those) and drinks.  I had a Mountain Dew AND a Gatorade to drink.  After pretty much everyone had eaten, they brought the cake out – it was really cool and had both our patches on it – 10th Mountain and 4ID.  I got some pictures of it, but they’re still on my camera.  After my piece of cake, I had another Gatorade.  Then it was time to clean up and head back to our respective band halls.

Once back to our band hall, we were done for the day.  I did a quick check of my e-mail, and answered those that couldn’t wait until tomorrow.  Then I headed home to get a shower and wash the volleyball court off my legs and feet – I had dumped a whole bunch of sand out of my shoes after I got done playing.  I crocheted for about a half hour and then I took a nap for a while.  Being in the sun for a good part of the day really took a lot out of me.  My face is sunburned a little bit, but not bad considering how much and how long I was out in the sun.  About 1730 KC stopped by and we headed out for our weekly pizza and movie night.  We watched Daddy Day Camp tonight.  Great movie!!  Now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen Daddy Day Care so I guess I’ll have to try and watch that sometime.

Off to bed now. . .

Today’s High:  117
Current:  102 (11:50 p.m.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s