A new runway

Boy, today has been one of those days. I went for a 3.25 mile run this morning and I ended up having to walk part of the way back cuz I got really bad side stitches. I’m fine now. I guess I’m just out of shape from not doing my PT lately. Then it was drizzling all morning, so at our rehearsal this morning everyone was asking me if the ceremony was still on for the afternoon. Hello – if I’d heard it was cancelled, would we be rehearsing for it? DUH!! So then everyone goes to lunch and I sit by the phone waiting for it to ring. Sure enough it did, but the ceremony had just moved to a sort-of inside place near where it was (New Runway Ribbon Cutting). Of course, this was a last minute change, and when we got out there, it was a big mess. Ceremony started 15 minutes late and finally went ok – until after the speech (which took forever because it had to be translated into Dari – one of the Afghan languages). Then the official party and pretty much everyone except the band and the color guard moved out to the runway for the ribbon cutting and planes taking off and landing. Then the band gets told the General wants us out there to play the Air Force song. We start marching and are met halfway and told the General changed his mind. So we march back in and wait. And wait. And wait. Finally one of the people in charge came over and said we were done. So we didn’t do the Air Force song afterall. We just got back on the bus and came home.

The rest of the afternoon wasn’t too bad – I got some crocheting done. In the evening I had barbershop chorus rehearsal, and that was a lot of fun. We rehearsed for about 20 minutes or so and then headed to the Dragon chow hall which is right by the chapel. We sang carols there for about 1/2 hour and even got some applause from the diners! We all had Santa hats that were donated to the band by one of my friends (there was enough for the 3 caroling groups from the band and for the chorus!). Then after that, we had Hallelujah Chorus rehearsal, and the Brass Quintet was there – they will be playing with us. Boy it sounded great with the brass!

Once I got home from the chapel, I was SOGGY. It was pouring rain and even though we took the shuttle bus home, we had to stand and wait for it for 10-15 minutes. And then walk from our shuttle stop into our camp. But that’s ok. It was a good ending to a pretty miserable rest of the day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s