Here ends the change of command season

One, two, three – all done! Today was our last change of command ceremony for the year. It was for the 1st Brigade Combat Team – probably 3000+ soldiers (all the ones that just got back from a year in Iraq). It was a pretty long ceremony and the sun sure was beating down on us. We all have “ceremonial tans” now – big stripe across our foreheads where our berets sit. It was a good ceremony nonetheless, and the slight breeze helped with the heat. Why they didn’t start the ceremony at 8 instead of 10 is beyond me, but oh well. We made it through it. Once we were done with that, we cleaned up the rehearsal hall and admin building and then we were done for the day.

Once I got home, I started working on our mess in our front yard. The tree stump “removal” guys came yesterday evening, and this is what they left us: Free Image Hosting at and from another angle: Free Image Hosting at And that’s after I shoveled some – filled in the hole where the stump was and put some of it under the pine tree on the other side of the yard. But what are we supposed to do with the stump? They left it in the middle of the sidewalk, and it took me and Ryan both to barely get it to where it is in the picture.

I did the shoveling and stuff while still in uniform (I figured, it needed to be washed anyway, so why dirty more clothes) and before I ate lunch. So I was hungry and tired and I’ll finish up tomorrow. I want to get it done as much as I can before Saturday because it’s supposed to rain and that pile will become one not pretty mess in my front yard. Well, ok, it’s already not pretty, but rain would make it worse.

After a nice relaxing shower, I walked up to the post office to mail a couple of packages, and then I came home to stitch for a while before my guys got home from work & school. When they got home, we walked downtown to a little restaurant that we’ve been wanting to try. It was nice and the food was good, but the portion sizes (at least of the fries that Ryan got) were rather small. Then we walked through West Carthage on a side street and then back on the main street and then we stopped at our little ice cream place on the way home.

The rest of my evening was a typical put Robbie to bed, stitch, and watch TV kind of evening.

Overnight low: 55
Today’s high: 79

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s